Neighborhood Greening Grants Program
Grant Application Guidelines
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Syracuse Parks Conservancy (SPC) believes that well-kept community spaces contribute to the life and vitality of neighborhoods. By taking care of our neighborhood environment, we create places where residents can gather and interact, thus strengthening the neighborhood’s social fabric and improving its quality of life.
In cooperation with the Central New York Community Foundation and the Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation, and Youth Programs, the Neighborhood Greening Grants Program awards up to $1000 in grants to support small, targeted initiatives that provide resources, training and support to organizations that work to improve their communities through park and recreation center stewardship. SPC especially encourages initiatives that are planned and implemented primarily by neighborhood/community-based groups led by local area residents.
WHO CAN APPLY?
· Locally led neighborhood associations, schools, park associations, faith-based organizations and other community groups in the city of Syracuse
· Applicant must have permission of property owner and/or Department of Parks
· Applicant must have formal tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) organization or
· If not a formal 501(c)(3) organization, the applicant must have a fiscal agent agreement with an organization with 501(c)(3) status
WHAT KINDS OF PROJECTS QUALIFY?
· Projects that occur in Syracuse on vacant lots or property owned by the Syracuse Department of Parks
· Projects that involve volunteers in the implementation and maintenance of the project.
· Projects that have not already taken place
· Projects proposed by groups with open Neighborhood Greening Grants will not be accepted until a final report has been submitted
· Engage volunteers in project development, implementation and maintenance
· Provide opportunities for community member involvement
· Build leadership within the community
· Occur in a neighborhood with a need for financial assistance for the project proposed
· Provide concrete improvements to the neighborhood environment with a logical plan for maintenance and sustainability
WHAT ARE SOME SAMPLE PROJECTS?
· Community garden and rain garden development and improvement
· Park clean-up
· Beautification of neighborhood entrances
· Trail development
· Vacant lot cleanup and restoration projects
Funded items can include plant materials, park signs, maintenance tools, playground mulch, recreational activity equipment, and other needed supplies
WHAT KINDS OF PROJECTS DO NOT QUALIFY?
· Support for operating expenses (including fundraisers)
· Loans or assistance to individuals
· Projects that benefit properties owned by private organizations, private schools, businesses, religious institutions or individuals
An Advisory Committee made up of Syracuse community members reviews applications and recommends projects for funding.
Review criteria include:
· Proposed project’s level of volunteer participation in planning and implementation
· Proposed project’s development of leadership skills among community participants
· Proposed project’s impact on the environment and the community
· Proposed project’s feasibility, including accomplishments, timeline, and budget
· Proposed project’s neighborhood financial need
Groups will be notified of a decision by Syracuse Parks Conservancy staff via phone, email and/or mail within ten (10) business days.
Grants are awarded on a rolling basis in amounts not to exceed $1000 per grant. The Syracuse Parks Conservancy reserves the right to consider a second or more grants from the same neighborhood /community on a case-by-case basis. A report on the outcomes of the grant is required within one month after completion.
WHERE SHOULD APPLICATIONS BE SENT?
Please email completed fillable pdf form as instructed below, or mail one (1) copy each of the completed and signed application form Neighborhood Greening Grants App, with a copy of your (or your fiscal sponsor’s) IRS determination letter, to:
Neighborhood Greening Grants Program
Syracuse Parks Conservancy, PO Box 11384, Syracuse, NY 13218
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please call Dave Harding at (315) 436-8165 or send email to [email protected]