Welcome to the Syracuse Parks Conservancy website. We thank you for stopping by. The Syracuse Parks Conservancy is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We are made up of a group of volunteers some of whom also serve as Trustees. We work with both public and private citizens to care for the parks and green spaces in Syracuse. Please take some time to get to know us and we hope, get involved. Neither government officials nor private citizens alone can properly care for our parks but working together, we can. Please get involved. Help make Syracuse a greener, healthier and better place to live!
The mission of the Syracuse Parks Conservancy is to ensure that all Syracuse parks, public lands and the habitats therein are sustainably protected, restored, enhanced and developed for the educational, recreational and wellness uses of our citizens and their guests; we will accomplish this by directing and managing these lands and facilities in a public-private partnership with the City of Syracuse.
- The idea for the Syracuse Parks Conservancy (SPC) began in 2008 when members from various T-N-T groups and Park Associations throughout the city began discussing the need for a citizen-based organization to coordinate activities in the parks, raise funds for needed projects/repairs/improvements, recruit volunteers for events and act as a liaison with city government.
- Throughout 2008-09, concerned citizens continued to meet both formally and informally to develop a “blueprint’ for the organization.
- A committee was formed to draft a Constitution and begin formal dialogues with the City of Syracuse. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was drafted. Representatives and lawyers from the City and the SPC met to finalize details.
- Members from the SPC and Pat Driscoll, Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Youth Programs, testified before the Common Council as to the need for this organization and how it would work with and support City government.
- The City of Syracuse Common Council passed a resolution and then Mayor Matthew J. Driscoll signed the MOU creating a formal relationship between the City of Syracuse and the SPC.
- In September 2009, the first Annual Meeting was held. A slate of Trustees presented by the Nominating Committee (Pat Driscoll, Chris Wiles and Mike Behnke) was put forth. Trustees and officers, all of whom have an interest in Syracuse’s parks as volunteers or professionals were elected.
- As of 2017, trustees are: Mike Behnke, Neil Falcone, Sally Curran, David Harding, Kathleen Joy, Joe Masella, Leo Crandall, Kevin McClelland, Paul Pflanz, Carl Sharak, Kathleen Joy, Christopher Wiles, and Tim Rudd.
- Ex-officio trustee is: Lazarus Sims.
- Officers are President Chris Wiles, Secretary Carl Sharak, Treasurer Sally Curran.
- The Board of Trustees meets at least six times a year, and our Committees meet as needed.
- Established Committees: Environment & Ecology, Planning, Design & Preservation, Events & Tourism, Finance & Administration, Fundraising & Development, Volunteers, Historical, and Nominating.
You Can Help Make a Difference
There are several great opportunities for you to help the Conservancy improve and expand Syracuse parks and green spaces. Become a financial sponsor or get involved hands on by becoming a volunteer.